10 Feb 2017: Part 2: test161 Updates

(This is the second part of a two-part announcement.)

New Version of test161
We’ve pushed a new version of test161, tool that you will be using this semester to help test your solutions and for submitting them. Please update to the latest version – 1.3.0 – using apt-get.

Note: This change depends on the upstream OS/161 changes, so please be sure merge them first.

For those not familiar with updating packages on Ubuntu, to upgrade only test161:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install test161

And, to upgrade all packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

After updating, please run test161 version and verify that the version is 1.3.0.

Get Familiar with test161
You should start familiarizing yourself with how to run tests using test161. At this point, you should have some experience running tests with sys161, and the test161 docs should hopefully make sense now. Feel free to post questions in the test161 category if something is not clear, but please, start by reading the documentation.

All of the tests except for reader/writer lock tests are provided with the base source code, and using test161 will give you and idea of how well you will do overall on the assignment. For ASST2 and ASST3, all of the tests we use for grading are provided.

Getting Ready to Submit
We’ll be opening the server up for ASST1 submissions in the next couple of days, and will announce when we do. Before you can submit, there is some configuration you’ll need to do. These steps are explained in Section 3 in the test161 documentation, and will be covered in recitation next week.

Good luck on ASST1!

1 Like

My partner and I are facing some issues while running test161 post this update. We updated only test161, and it is showing this error: Error running boot.t: Command ‘boot’ is not recognized by test161.
We ran test161 in the morning, and it was working just fine. We checked the version of test161 and it is 1.3.0, as expected. We haven’t updated os161, though. Are the two related?

PS: We are able to run the kernel without any issues through sys161.

Yes, the new version of test161 depends on the OS/161 upstream changes, so this is expected. And thanks, I have updated the original post to reflect this dependency.

We updated OS161 and it worked! Thank you so much!

1 Like